FBU Quarterbacks Coach Buddy Geis has spent over 30 years coaching at the professional and collegiate levels. His coaching odyssey began at the University of Arizona, where he was a graduate assistant coach from 1974-1976. Following that stint, he coached at Tulane University (1977-82), Kansas (1983), the USFL's Jacksonville Bulls (1984-85), and as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Memphis State (1986-87).
Geis broke into the NFL as receivers coach for the Green Bay Packers from 1988-91 under head coach Lindy Infante. While with the Packers, Geis tutored all-pro receiver Sterling Sharpe, who led the NFL with 90 receptions in just his second season in the league. Under Geis' tutelage, Sharpe totaled 281 receptions for 4,280 yards and 23 touchdowns in four seasons, setting the foundation for what arguably ended up being a Hall of Fame career for Sharpe. In 1996, he was hired as offensive assistant and assistant quarterbacks coach with the Indianapolis Colts, where he worked with Colts' quarterback Jim Harbaugh for two seasons. Harbaugh recorded the second-best quarterback rating of his career under Geis in 1997.
Geis then moved to Dallas, where he worked closely with Hall of Famers Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin. As quarterbacks coach from 1998-1999, the Cowboys' signal callers threw only 21 interceptions in two seasons, the lowest total in the NFL during that span. When Chan Gailey was hired as head coach at Georgia Tech, he brought Geis back to the college ranks for five seasons - as associate head coach and wide receivers coach. It was there that Geis coached all-world wide receiver Calvin Johnson. Under Geis, Johnson was a three-time first-team All-American selection, three-time first-team All-ACC, and was the 2006 Biletnikoff Award Winner as the nation's best wide receiver.
- Georgia Tech University (2003-2007)
- Dallas Cowboys (1998-2000)
- Indianapolis Colts (1996-1997)
- Memphis Mad Dogs (CFL) (1995)
- Tulane University (1994, 1977-1982)
- Duke University (1993)
- Green Bay Packers (1988-1991)
- Memphis State (1986-1987)
- Jacksonville Bulls (USFL) (1984-1985)
- University of Kansas (1983)
- University of Arizona (1974-1976)
Notable Players Trained
- Jim Harbaugh – QB, Indianapolis Colts
- Troy Aikman – QB, Dallas Cowboys
- Brian Sipe, QB, Cleveland Browns/Jacksonville Bulls (USFL)
- Sterling Sharpe, WR, Green Bay Packers
- Calvin Johnson, WR, Detroit Lions